Monday, August 6, 2012

Grieve well, live well series - Week 1


“Why?”

Karen pulled up to Sue’s house searching for a parking place. The street is lined with cars and her drive way was full. Karen’s heart was pounding and feet felt like lead. “What did my pastor say? Sue’s son Aaron was riding his bike and a car rounded the corner too fast and hit him. He died instantly.” That cut Karen to the quick. Karen had watched Aaron grow up. He is… O Lord was, her son’s best friend.

Karen painstakingly climbed the stairs to the front door. “What can I say?” she kept asking herself. The door was not all the way closed, she could see that the living room was full but she was compelled to find Sue. All she wanted to do was hug her and say something to bring Sue comfort. Scanning the room she found Sue sitting in the corner chair surrounded by other friends, sobbing. A lone Kleenex box sat in front of her, empty. Karen was glad she had grabbed a box as she ran out the door. Their eyes met as Karen knelt before Sue. They both had the same question on their minds with different intentions, “Why?” Karen was searching, “Why Sue? How can I help?” Sue was pleading for answers, “Why me? Why now?” screamed in her head. Karen wrapped Sue in her arms and they cried.

We are all unprepared for a loved one’s death. It doesn’t matter if it was after an extended illness or a sudden tragedy. We are never ready. God did not create this world to have death, but he knows it is now a part of life in this fallen world. In His word He has shown us how to grieve in a healthy, healing way.

Follow me and over the next few weeks we will uncover the way God wants us to grieve. In doing this we will also discuss how to come alongside those who are grieving and help them grieve well. 


3 comments:

  1. Excellent post my friend. I know you are going to bless so many people by sharing what you have learned about grieving from your experiences. God uses it all for his glory. May he pour out abundant blessings on you and open many doors for you to share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Cari. I am doing the Tribe Writers course with Jeff Goins. This morning I read your introduction and followed the link provided over to this blog. The word "grief" is what compelled me to do so. You see, I lost my father 14 months ago. Sometimes it feels like life is getting easier and I'm beginning to settle into this "new normal." But other times it feels as though the only thing real about this process is the pain. I am getting married in a month. All of my sisters are married, and I'd always looked forward to the day my father would walk me down the aisle, as well. The closer we get to that special day, the more sadness mixes with my great joy. I was delighted to see the series you're doing, and I plan to come back until I've read each one. May the Lord continue to bless the works and words of your hands.

    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  3. MPW,
    My heart aches at your loss, 14 months really isn't that long and the 'roller coaster ride' of emotions doesn't surprise me. Congratulations on your up coming wedding, yes it will be bittersweet mix of sadness and joy. There will be many more small losses like not having your father to walk you down the aisle. Allow yourself to take time to feel those losses too. You may want to consider having or doing something special at your wedding to honor your father. My daughter displayed special candles to honor her siblings at her wedding. God bless you and may you feel his arms wrapped around you as you wrap up your wedding plans.
    Look me up on FB too, I'd love to friend you - I spend alot of time in Nashville with family.
    Blessings,
    Cari

    ReplyDelete